I’m not gluten intolerant, but even I like a break from flour every once in a while. I’ve been itching to create a cake recipe for months, and by throwing a few things together I somehow managed to create the most delicious, moist chocolate cake…which just happens to be gluten free.
I don’t see creating gluten-free recipes as a challenge. Instead, I see it as an opportunity to be more inclusive and to step outside my comfort zone. Experimenting with different ingredients is fun, and working with almond flour has proven a fruitful experience.
This recipe is so simple to throw together and creates a really tasty treat that won’t leave you feeling bloated or weighed down. Almond flour is purely blanched, skinless almonds, so it’s super protein rich. Not that anyone eats chocolate cake purely for a protein hit…but every bit adds up!
You’re really going to love the texture and taste of this one.
It’s perfectly moist and melts in your mouth. I like to eat it straight away after pouring the ganache. The gooey chocolate seeps into the cake and hugs your tastebuds. The almond slices add a nice crunch to the cake, but you can decorate with any of your favourite toppings. Freeze dried raspberries would be perfect for a bold touch.
I literally ate a quarter of this cake last weekend and I can honestly say there was no guilt involved! How could I feel guilty for indulging my taste buds?
I’ve been trying really hard lately to strike a nice balance with my diet. The 80/20 rule has been a life saver recently by helping me approach food in a more healthy way. After eating delicious fruits, veggies, legumes and other plant-powered proteins Monday to Friday, it was nice to indulge during the weekend. I can’t wait to whip this one up again!
Thinking of making this recipe?
- Take lots of snaps!
- Tag me on Insta or use the hashtag #thehungrypiggy.
Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 flax eggs
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla
- 1 cup almond milk
- 140 grams of dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup almond slices (for decoration)
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Line a cake tin.
- To make the cake, combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a cup or small bowl, prepare flax eggs. Add vanilla and almond milk and stir. Pour into dry ingredients and combine.
- Scoop batter (it will be thick) evenly into the cake tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely before removing from tin.
- To make the ganache, melt chocolate on a double boiler. Once chocolate is melted, add a pinch of salt and almond milk and whisk until combined. Remove from heat.
- Once ganache is warm to touch, pour over cake and allow to spill over edges. Sprinkle with almond slices as pictured. Serve immediately to enjoy gooey ganache, or wait until ganache has set for a firmer texture.