Breakfast for me usually means porridge, avo on toast or a green smoothie. Healthy, clean and delicious vegan fare that carries me through busy work schedules.
However, once in a while I like to step outside my comfort zone and indulge in a more decadent option. Pancakes are usually my top pick for a weekend treat, but now my heart belongs to this Ultimate Vegan Breakfast Scone.
I saw breakfast sandwiches and biscuits everywhere I turned during my recent trip to New York. They came in every shape and size, but unfortunately weren’t vegan friendly. It got me thinking: why not create a plant-based version to rule them all?
My brain worked overtime to create this monster of a breakfast.
It’s got everything your heart could desire the morning after a big night, but doesn’t leave you feeling guilty.
This recipe serves four, but I wouldn’t blame you for having two all by yourself. Sharing is caring but selfish people live longer.
The best part for me has to be the tofu scramble. I’ve been developing this recipe for a while to make it easy and quick to whip up for newbies, without compromising on flavour.
The cashew cheese sauce is melt-in-your-mouth scrumptious.
While I’ve written 1 to 2 tablespoons as being enough for each scone, I often find myself spooning more and more as I chow down. I’m a sucker for sauces, and find it hard to hold back when there’s more on the table. Don’t you just love how it drips down the sides and invites you to try?
Thinking of making this recipe?
- Take lots of snaps!
- Tag me on Insta or use the hashtag #thehungrypiggy.
Ultimate Vegan Breakfast Scones
- 2 cups of plain white flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 2/3 cup almond milk plus 2 tablespoons
- 300g firm tofu
- 1 white onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
CREAMY CASHEW CHEESE
- 1 cup of raw cashews (soaked for 1 hour)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 4 vegan sausages (I used Linda McCartney)
- 4 slices of tomato (grilled)
- Fresh parsley for garnish
TO MAKE THE SCONES:
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees celsius.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Melt butter and pour into dry mixture along with almond milk. Using a wooden spoon or your hands (I prefer hands), gently bring the mixture together. The mix should just come together nicely into a ball.
- Tip onto a floured surface and using a rolling pin or your hands, gently roll the ball out to create dough that’s at least 1/2 inch thick, and can can be made into 4 scones using a cutter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
TO MAKE THE TOFU SCRAMBLE:
- Prepare your tofu by removing excess moisture. I wrap mine in a clean tea towel and place under a stack of heavy items (books or a large pot will do).
- Using your hands, crumble the tofu into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add diced onions and cook until brown. Add your crumbled tofu and the rest of the ingredients. Mix to ensure turmeric has fully covered the tofu. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes before removing from heat.
TO MAKE THE CREAMY CASHEW CHEESE SAUCE:
- In a high speed blender or Nutri/Magic Bullet, add drained cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and liquid aminos. Blend until smooth (we don’t want any bits of cashew to remain).
- Pour sauce into a small pan and heat on low for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- On on a hot pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Place tomato slices in pan and cook for a few minutes on each side.
- For your vegan sausages, cook as per package instructions. Take each sausage and create slices on an angle.
- Take each scone and cut lengthways to create two halfs.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of tofu scramble on bottom layer, followed by slices of vegan sausage, tomato, cashew cheese (about 1-2 tablespoons) and a sprinkle of fresh parsley. Place other scone half on top. Enjoy!