I can happily eat the same meal every day for a week, so it’s a good thing I tend to make work lunches in bulk. Sunday meal prep doesn’t ALWAYS happen, but when it does my mornings are a heck of a lot easier Monday to Friday. Don’t get me wrong — buying lunches can be fun and variety is CRUCIAL, but sometimes it’s nice to have a go-to, hearty and tasty meal that’s guaranteed to fill you up and give you fuel for the rest of the day.
Enter my Healthy Brown Rice Salad.
This salad has been a constant in my life the last few months. It’s nutritious, delicious and can be enjoyed cold or heated. With so few ingredients, it’s also quick to make and cost-effective. The base of this recipe is brown rice — one of my all-time favourite whole grains! The nutty flavour and texture is to die for. A little goes a long way too, and the two cups I use for this recipe yields plenty for a full week’s worth of lunches.
If simplicity and saving money sounds good to you, then this salad is a must try. If I’m extra ravenous, I sometimes add BBQ tofu to the mix or vegan sausages. But for the most part I like to keep it simple and enjoy the salad as is.
Raw capsicum, cashews and pumpkin seeds are the perfect additions for texture, crunch and colour — all important components to any salad! Plain lettuce and a few veggies could never suffice for a good lunch. Adding legumes and dried fruits is such a simple way to take dishes to the next level!
You simply can’t have salad without a good dressing, and at the risk of sounding super wanky, I actually don’t like the options at most grocery stores. The sugar content scares the hell out of me and at the end of the day, making your own is cheaper, healthier and fun. For this recipe, all you need is three ingredients: Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, apple cider vinegar and lime juice. Too easy!
Thinking of making this recipe?
- Take lots of snaps!
- Tag me on Insta or use the hashtag #thehungrypiggy.
Healthy Brown Rice Salad
- 2 cups of brown rice
- Large handful of fresh baby spinach
- 1 red capsicum (diced)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- Add 2 cups of brown rice to a small pot with 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to a low setting, cover your pot and cook for a further 30 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Fluff with a fork to separate the grains.
- In a large bowl, add cool rice and remaining ingredients and toss until everything is properly mixed.
- To make the dressing, combine aminos, apple cider vinegar and lime juice in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Finally, pour over the salad and toss.