If I had to guess how many individual cookies I’ve rolled and placed on a baking tray this year, I’d have to guess at LEAST 200. Heck it’s probably a lot more.
I’ve made chocolate chip cookies, buckwheat cookies and oat cookies. And you know what? I’d be happy to make them every damn day.
But sometimes you just want a big ass dessert that’s minimal effort. My Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie ticks both boxes. No rolling dough. Just mix, pour and bake. I think the pictures speak for themselves. This dessert is MAGNIFICENT.
You’ve probably seen this one pop up on your Insta feed a lot lately. It’s a photogenic dessert that just draws people in.
My recipe offers a soft, gooey texture that melts in your mouth. Topped with vanilla bean coconut ice cream and it’s simply to die for. My go-to is always Little Island Vanilla Bean ice cream. It’s a Kiwi brand that takes great pride in their ingredients. Their products are organic and GMO free, not to mention bloody delicious. To top it all off, they’re committed to paying their staff fairly. When I find brands that pay a living wage, I make a point to support them.
Making this recipe is literally the easiest thing you’ll ever do. It took me less than 10 minutes to put the mixture together. I also love creating recipes that are super accessible for everyone: vegan or not. Most of the ingredients here you’ll find in every pantry. If you don’t have vegan butter or can’t find any at your local supermarket, coconut oil works well as a replacement.
Also, you don’t have to stress about finding a specific brand of vegan chocolate chips. There are plenty of brands out there whose chocolate chips are accidentally vegan, relying on ingredients other than the dreaded milk powder. Milk powder haunts the ingredient lists of more products than I care to admit, but thankfully change is coming!
I hope you enjoy making this skillet miracle as much as I did. Making dessert needn’t be a chore. Make this your go-to and you’ll never question again whether or not you have time to whip up a quick treat.
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 2 cups plain white flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup of vegan butter
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, cream brown sugar with vegan butter and vanilla. Add almond milk and combine.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and mix in vegan chocolate chips.
- Spoon mixture into large ovenproof skillet (it will be thick but this is perfect). Using a spatula to ensure the surface is spread evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the middle of the pan no longer wiggles.
- Leave to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving with your favourite vanilla bean ice cream.