While many people have delighted in teasing me about all the stuff I can’t eat (not realising they’re the 1000th person to make the same joke about cheese), there’s one famous treat even they’re surprised to know is accidentally vegan.
I am of course, talking about Oreos.
What’s not to love? From the chocolatey dark cookies to the mouth watering crème filling, they’re the ultimate indulgence.
I personally love them in a vegan milkshake or in vanilla ice cream.
Whether you follow those famous ads by ‘Twisting, Licking then Dunking’ yours into cold milk, or enjoy them as is, there’s no right or wrong way to eat Oreos.
My latest recipe from The Hungry Piggy kitchen came about when my brother mentioned his craving from Oreos in chocolate chip cookies.
Obviously neither myself nor my brother can take credit for the idea (he mentioned that Oreo stuffed cookies popped up on his Insta feed). So whoever thought of the idea, thank you for making my brother hungry, and for indirectly inspiring me to make a vegan-friendly version.
I personally love my chocolate chip cookies to be soft and gooey (and vegan of course). This recipe brings that love to life, with an ultra soft cookie dough that lovingly wraps around those wonderful original flavour Oreos.
It’s important that your mixture doesn’t become too wet, or it’ll be a nightmare to wrap the dough around each Oreo. You want the dough to just stick together nicely. Not too dry. Not too sticky.
This recipe make about 14 cookies (and they’re quite large!). Beware though—you’ll find it hard to stop at just one.
Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups plain white flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup of vegan butter
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1 pack of original flavour Oreos
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together. Add vanilla and almond milk and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and fully combine. Fold in vegan chocolate chips.
- Finally, take a large spoonful of dough, roll and then flatten out on your palm. Place one Oreo inside and then mould the dough around it until completely hidden.
- When you have nicely shaped the Oreo-stuffed cookies, place them on a baking tray (give plenty of space between them as the dough expands while baking).
- Bake for 12 minutes or until cookies become golden on the outer edges.
- Serve with your favourite plant based milk or scoop some coconut ice cream on top for a quick dessert.